College Bound was designed to increase 4-year college acceptance and retention for marginalized, capable students who are at risk of falling through the cracks of the college access pipeline.
Most of our students’ parents did not attend college, and their schools lack resources to provide substantial college counseling. Thanks to College Bound, students are given the opportunity to receive the guidance they need to choose, apply, gain acceptance, finance, and graduate from a 4-year college.
We identify high school juniors from East Palo Alto, eastern Menlo Park, and Redwood City who are academically solid and could be the first in their families to attend college, but who might not enroll in a 4-year college without structured support. Chosen students and their families will have access to:
- Grants and scholarships that cover college tuition
- Personal College Coaches who are experts in college admissions and success
- College essay support, guidance in selecting schools, a week-long college tour, summer internships, and college life workshops
- Multi-year college success support for these students and their families from high school, through 4-year college acceptance, and continuing until college graduation
- Parent workshops on the benefits of a college education, financial aid, debt, and how to cope with a child leaving home